When we set up Loving Small Business our main aim was to help others, we feel really strongly that this should extend to helping the planet and have therefore taken every step to ensure that everything we do leaves as little impact on the planet as possible whilst also protecting your goodies.
We wanted to share with you exactly what we are doing.
We are always looking for new ways to reduce our environmental impact and here is what we have done so far:
- We buy our packaging in larger quantities, this means that there is less packaging (for our packaging) and less fuel for transporting.
- We have a couple of types of loose fill that we are trialing at the moment to see which works better. One of them is made from 100% genetically modified free starch and they dissolve in water, so you can literally wash them away without causing any harm to marine life or the environment in general. You can definitely reuse these as a science experiment to keep your kids occupied too
We get excited about this one!
- We reuse any packaging that stock comes in, so if you find bubble wrap in your parcel, its because we have reused it from an order we received. If your box looks like it has been loved, it's probably a seasoned traveller
- We have a stamp (thank you British Stamp Maker) that we stamp on all of our boxes, new & used. We hope that this will encourage people to reuse our boxes rather than instantly recycling them or throwing them away
- We also made the decision not to use stickers on our tissue paper so that it could be reused to wrap gifts or top a gift bag
- All of our rubbish that we do have is recycled, we really do try to keep our landfill waste to a minimum
- Our new boxes are made from 75% recycled material and are 100% recyclable (although we definitely recommend adding your tick to the box and reusing them)
- Our other loose fill is crinkle paper, this is made from 80% recycled material and is 100% recyclable (you can easily reuse though by popping it in the top of your gift bags for a tissue paper alternative)
It means so much to us that we are a business that helps and doesn't hinder so we will always look to improve wherever we can and would love to hear from you if there are any points you think we can improve on our sustainability efforts.